Top 8 Reasons to Remove Duplicate Content to Boost Website SEO
1. The significance of optimization for curbing duplicate contentThe internet governs human lives to a great extent. In the present world, people tend to conduct a majority of their tasks online. Numerous services are also available online. Understandably, the cyberspace is expanding and accommodating an ever-increasing number of users.
A website has the potential chance of being viewed by anyone and everyone. Hence the amount of exposure that a person can gain through the internet is practically gargantuan.
2. Website exposure is very Significant in the modern worldHowever, the issue of visibility requires special attention in this context. There are many sites, blog posts, and social pages on the internet, and for this reason, acquiring organic traffic becomes difficult.
Pages with duplicate content on a site add to the problem of gaining exposure as duplicate pages are not included as results. It reduces the publicity of the original website. Optimization deals with all issues related to duplicate content and helps in removing those effectively.
3. SEO has a vital role to play concerning the visibility of a websiteOptimization plays a vital role in heightening the visibility of a website. Without search engine optimization, an online site has no online presence as it barely features in the search results of a search engine. Hence, website developers consider SEO as the prime factor for website configuration.
4. The detrimental effect of duplicate content issuesOptimization includes multiple fields of website monitoring and development. The problem of duplicate content occurs when search engines are served copies of information stemming from a single site.
The problem of replicated content doesn’t always attract any duplicate content penalty from search engines. It precisely causes duplicate content to evade detection as sites are not directly penalized or notified for flouting rules.
5. Lack of original content can reduce the visibility of a web pageBut that does not imply that copied content causes no harm. The effects of duplicate matter on the internet are enlisted below:
• Reduction of visibility:
Search engines group URL addresses on the internet serving the same or similar information. Based on the query, the search engine shows the most authentic result from the group of duplicates. It affects the visibility of the leading site as it fails to feature in the results page.
• Distribution of inbound links:
Duplicate or similar pages belong to one site. Website owners prefer to channel all the inbound links to the parent site, but the presence of multiple similar versions causes the links to get distributed. This distribution of links affects search engine rankings to a great extent.
6. Same content for similar version often create the duplicate content issueThe utilization of free online plagiarism checker with percentage, SEO tools, and other things aid in detecting copied content issues and replica webpages on the internet. These tools help website owners to keep a tab on the accidental formation of duplicate pages.
7. Steps for ensuring the removal of copied contentDuplicate pages are not created intentionally. Secure and non-secure website versions, URL parameters with a trailing slash, and without a slash, websites having www or not having www result into multiple versions of the same site.
Session ids generated as per user interactions also creates an imperceptibly different version of the website URL that is treated as a duplicate copy by search engines.
Wasting crawl action on duplicate pages or losing links can be avoided by employing some simple measures that are given below:
• 301 redirects:
Inserting this redirect on all the identified duplicate pages helps in streamlining all the links and clicks to the original site.
• REL canonical tag:
This feature helps in attributing a URL as the primary address. It ensures that the pages where the canonical tag is given shall be treated as copies of the URL that has been highlighted. In this method, the rank of the page is credited to the correct URL.
• No-index Meta tag:
Using Meta robots with “Noindex, follow” excludes pages from the index of a search engine. The Meta tag has to be inserted with the HTML heading of the pages, which should get excluded from indexing.
8. The usage of no-index meta tags help in reducing duplicate contentThe duplicate pages can thus be removed from the search engine index by inserting this tag.
• Text compare tool:
Apart from deliberate content stealing, content duplication also occurs in case of product descriptions in category pages for e-commerce sites.
A text compare tool helps in comparing two sets of text for similarities. It helps in rewording a piece of content about a particular product for removing plagiarism.